Beauty Basics: Making the Most of Your Lashes
When I think back to my younger days, the first makeup product I wore on a regular basis was mascara. I think more often than not, mascara is one of the first makeup products we all tend to try on our own. Lashes are something that automatically can pull an eye look together, so making the most of them is key.
For many, our lashes are something we tend to apply product to on a daily basis. And if you’re just starting out with makeup, you might be wondering some tips and tricks on applying mascara, or what kinds of brands are best for certain things, or perhaps how to prevent your lashes from clumping, or even why you should curl your lashes. Well hopefully I can provide you with that info in this post and by the end you’ll be able to apply mascara like a champ and have an idea of a brand that will work for you. Let’s get started!
Tips to Applying Mascara:
- DON’T pump your mascara wand before applying it. I’m not sure who started this and why…but all this does is push air into the mascara tube and dry out the mascara quicker.
- Before you place the wand on your lashes, make sure you’ve removed any excess product. You really don’t need a ton of mascara to coat your lashes, and by having the excess product, it’s only going to lead to your lashes potentially clumping up.
- As you apply your mascara, wiggle the wand from side to side as you bring the wand up your lashes. Wiggling the wand from side to side is what separates your lashes and helps to prevent them from clumping. This way, you get a nice even application.
- When applying mascara, I think it helps to look down into a mirror. This will help prevent getting the mascara onto your eyelid and potentially ruining your eye makeup.
- I think it helps to apply a layer of mascara to the tops of your lashes as well. It helps them to look thicker and will curl your lashes a bit too.
Picking the Right Mascara for You:
It’s important that when looking for a mascara you get the right formula for what you’re looking for. Are you wanting to add length? How about thickness? It’s important to know these things so you get the right one.
If your lashes need help in the length department, then lengthening mascara is for you. Lengthening mascaras are going to have applicators with densely packed bristles so that you can really get the product on your lashes. It’s going to help define and separate each lash.
A product you might want to try: Maybelline Define-a-Lash mascara
Thickening / Voluminizing Mascara:
These type of mascaras are for when you want to make your lashes appear fuller and more dense.
A product you might want to try: L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara
Waterproof mascaras are great when you need a mascara that is smudge proof. These types of mascaras contain special ingredients that help to repel water so that they don’t come off. However, be advised, waterproof formulas can be a bit harsh on the lashes when used frequently. You should always make sure to fully remove this mascara to prevent your lashes from breaking.
A product you might want to try: Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara
Non Clumping Mascara:
Non clumping mascara is a type of lengthening mascara. You might also see it referred to as telescopic mascara. It’s just a mascara that contains some ingredients that prevent it from clumping, i.e. silk extract or glycerin. This is good for people with shorter, densely packed eyelashes, as it will add length without clumping your eyelashes together.
A product you might want to try: L’Oreal Telescopic Explosion Mascara
Some Extra Lash Tips:
- Curl your lashes before applying mascara. I know that eyelash curler looks a bit scary, but it really does help to curl your lashes before you put on your mascara. Why you ask? Well, when you curl them they’ll extend upwards and when you apply the mascara to them you’ll be able to see them more. One thing to note, don’t ever curl your lashes after you’ve applied mascara, you risk breaking them off!
- Try applying two different types of mascara. This is a tip used by a lot of makeup artists. What they’ll do is first apply one coat of a lengthening mascara and then follow it up with a mascara that has a thickening formula. This will help you get lashes that will look more like falsies!
- Use an eyelash primer. An eyelash primer works like any other primer you use. It’s going to help separate your lashes and it’ll give your mascara something to stick to.
107 Notes/ Hide
- belluhforever reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- maddiemcnabb likes this
- alainalaina likes this
- indyapocalypse likes this
- unladylikexo likes this
- kurt-vonnecat likes this
- oswindulous likes this
- missy-jabby-stuff reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- caprichosa23 likes this
- sunnyscooka likes this
- und-0 likes this
- xtinana likes this
- as7766097 likes this
- addictionindisguise reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- everydaypirateadventures likes this
- ordongoats likes this
- ienigmaxvi reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- shortblondbitch likes this
- delightfully-different likes this
- karatsaint likes this
- bonniegirrrl likes this
- pinkskiesandfoofoo likes this
- pinkskiesandfoofoo reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- louieslikes reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- k0isan reblogged this from makeupchronicles
- beautystuffs reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- iwearfezzesnow likes this
- tolovedearly likes this
- matori likes this
- matori reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- thelittletranthatcould likes this
- unpoeticsoul likes this
- dameofdoom34 reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- lrawrz likes this
- eyessurlamusique likes this
- meganananan likes this
- joannabobana likes this
- kakikaemaisutori likes this
- geeh-shit reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- stark-reactors likes this
- thebarefootrebellion likes this
- hiijntmy likes this
- alexandraprado4523 likes this
- paulinectarine likes this
- octoberhoodlum likes this
- rbarr reblogged this from drugstoreprincess
- j-adoreyou likes this
- thisisdakotah likes this